Friday, November 20, 2009

A cry for help from a young girl


She was so cute. Maybe 7 or 8 years old. She was sitting next to my husband, Peter, as we flew from Frankfurt to Moscow recently. At the suggestion of her mother, sitting across the isle, she asked Peter if he would play a game with her. They played a few rounds of hangman. I think she won!

Peter asked her what they were doing in Moscow and she said she thinks her Dad had work there. She asked what we were doing, and Peter explained that I was going to present at a conference about trust. ‘Do you know what trust is?’ Peter asked her.

‘No, I don’t think so.’ she said. Peter asked ‘Do you trust me?’

She looked at him for a moment, frowned and said ‘I probably shouldn’t. I don’t know you.’ We explained that it was OK because her Mum had suggested she play a game with him.

She sat back in her seat and closed her eyes. Peter and I began talking. Then we looked over and in the book where they had been playing hangman she had written ‘Help…..help……help…….HELP….HELP. NO HELP’.

What the heck was that. My heart leapt into my throat. I remember those pleas as a child myself, when I needed help and no-one would listen. In a vain attempt I would want to reach out to anyone, a stranger, anyone who would listen. But then I didn’t know what to say. I just knew that things were not right and that I was scared in my own home.

How could we help this little girl? The announcement was made by the cabin crew that they plane was preparing to land. Peter quickly reached over and wrote in her book ‘Can I help you?’ She looked at him with eyes that were so deep and so sad, shook her head and closed her eyes.

Peter closed her book and helped her pack up her things. We sat and looked at each other. What do you do? I’ve never felt so completely helpless in all my life. Was it my place to probe? Was I just applying my own experience to her and misreading her pleas? Maybe she just didn’t want to go to Moscow and leave her friends, or maybe there was something more sinister going on.

What it has done is renewed my desire to help those in real need. To help find a solution for broken trust and fear in the home. To help educate mothers to know how to recognize the signs and then know what to do when they suspect something. To help women in abusive relationships, trust themselves enough to get out. This is where my heart is, and this is where I need to be.

Sure, we will continue to help build trust in the business world, but what is sad is that most business people don’t actually recognize that they need it. Individuals do. Mothers do. Communities and Nations do. I’ll go where I am most needed and respond to the cries for help.

Where do YOU think building and restoring trust is most needed?

Complete this short survey – I’m looking for 10,000 votes to help me dedicate my time and resources where they are most needed. Please help.

No comments:

Post a Comment