Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Procrastination or Protrustination

Below is a discussion that I came across on a LinkedIn Group 'Working Moms' written by Emma Grey Director at WorkLifeBliss and Director at Inspiring Writers

I'm writing a workshop about time management at the moment.

So, I Google something about beating procrastination and notice an interesting link. I read that, do a self-test about internet addiction, check email, update facebook about my time-management progress, do a quiz on which 80s song describes my life (Girls' Just Wanna Have Fun) then look through 117 photos posted by a girl I went to school with, with whom I can't be sure I ever exchanged a word in real life. I check the news and weather, take the dog for a walk as it might rain, then I read an e-newsletter my friend sent me from her work which includes the 'interesting fact of the day' that some people have the ability to read and detect colours through their hands and feet, and next thing you know I'm on a virtual goose-chase of scientific and paranormal websites about extraocular vision.

Which brings me to this post about procrastination...

My Comment:

It really depends on how you look at it, if your goal is to maintain balance in your life, stay in touch with friends, expand your knowledge and get some exercise each day, then I'd say, Emma, you were not procrastinating at all. You were, in fact, acheiving all you set out to acheive. The key is to be really clear about who we are and why we are here, what our purpose is, and then trust that every experience is moving us towards that. If you are unclear, unaccepting, or do not trust that and fight against it, then you could be procratinating and not even know it! I've met plenty of busy people with 'good jobs' who are truly procrastinating because they are unhappy and are avoiding their true calling. Maybe I should create a new term to 'protrustinate.'

No comments:

Post a Comment